Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Sense of Humor

I took my usual morning walk at 5 am. It was a cool 38 degrees F. Some people in LA would say "it's freezing", but they usually exaggerate by a few degrees. While walking along the road, I was thinking on "humor" and laughing at my own jokes. Why do people find some things funny, and what is it that makes us laugh? I don't really know.

Finding out what's so funny isn't as easy as it sounds. It's often a matter of the moment, the timing of the event, and the context and background of a situation. It's also depends on one's mood at the time, and a number of cultural elements are involved too.

Hikaru bonks me on the head with an empty plastic water bottle, and he thinks that's really funny. He also likes to pull my nose, and thinks that's funny too. Our baby's level of humor is currently in line with the Three Stooges. However, depending on how sleep deprived and tired I am, my level of amusement may vary significantly.

Humor is also a sign of mental health and appropriateness. If you find something funny, and other people laugh with you, then it probably means everyone's happy and fine. But if you find something really funny, and other people don't share the laugh, then it probably means you're a little off somewhere. A recent example is the case of comedian Rosie O'Donnell's "ching chong" Chinese accent impression -- totally unfunny and uncool. Reminds me of seventh grade.

We usually find at least a few things to laugh together about during the day, so it's probably a healthy sign relationship-wise. Yes, my significant other is one of the "few" people who laughs at my puns and "sees" what's so funny (the lowest form of aqueous humor). I just had to write that to my significant other. That's probably why we're each other's sole mate. After a long hard day, it's always good to come home, take off our shoes, relax. Laughter is good for the feet (the soles). So I'm taking a little break from my walk now.

By the way, if you were expecting for me to write something profound, please keep in mind that this is only a blog. I'll need to think more on this topic at a later date...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At Monday, December 25, 2006, Blogger Tatsuji said...

One-year old Samuel thinks the words: "ouch" and "itchy" are hilariously funny. I'm sure that Hikaru would understand. Vaudville is a perfect genre for the one-year old as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home