Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Routine Things

I never was much of a person for routine things. Too boring. Some examples of routine things are washing dishes, folding laundry, mowing the grass, sorting mail, paying bills -- well, you get the idea... Just thinking about it is enough to bring about a big sleepy "yawn".

But in my "older" age, I'm gradually figuring out that it's all a matter of perspective. Life is what you notice. Even in a life filled with routine and repetition, there can be things to keep our minds active. In our urban fast-paced stress-filled lives, those routine tasks can provide a much-needed "calming" effect.

A few weeks ago, I started a new "healthy" routine, a morning exercise routine. Where do I find the time? I get up at 5:30 am with the rooster. (Yes, we do hear the crow of the rooster -- and the baby rooster Hikaru wakes us up early. )

I'm not a laborer or farmer, but "early to rise" is good for the soul. I take a 40-minute walk up and down the hills of our neighborhood, and followed by practicing some of Tai Chi Chuan (Yang style). Usually I go alone, but sometimes the baby and Mommy come with me too.



So far, the new routine has been going well. The photo above is what I often see on my daily walk, and its wonderful to take in the quiet beauty of the San Gabriel mountains in the colors of the twilight. My routine provides a certain "rhythm" to life, and I'm finding myself feeling more in tune with the dynamic changes in the weather and the cycle of the sun and moon.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home